Monday, January 11, 2016

Traveling and Training

My daughter and I enjoying a movie! :) 
I feel like it's been a while since I've had a chance to type out my thoughts. First of all, my first week of training was great. I love having a program to look to each day and work from. I was telling a fellow cycling friend (well, more than a cycling friend, just a good friend) that I'm finding myself becoming more disciplined in other areas. I'm reading more, sleeping better, eating better, generally keeping a better schedule. The Lord is blessing this effort. I'm continuing to pray for sustaining grace.

Traveling

I'm in a heavy traveling season. It's one that requires my prayer and attention. I'm so honored to get to do ministry around the country. Actually, this year I'll be traveling to Germany. I can't believe I get to go encourage the faith of women in another country. Such an honor and I pray it's fruitful and encouraging to them. All this wonderful travel means I must get creative with training. In the past I would have squeezed in a workout here and there, but now I must be intentional.

One way I'm intentional is not skipping my bike ride even if it means waking up quite early to get it in before a flight. This isn't always possible, but most of the time my flights aren't at 5:00 am. If that's the case, I can get an hour in on a trainer and then get ready to head to the airport. If I can't do a cycling ride but cycling is on the agenda, I'll be looking for a spin bike or area classes. I don't always have long breaks but if I do, I'll need to take advantage of them. On a recent trip, I had weight lifting for the training that day so I just went to the hotel gym and got it in. The harder trips will be those that take me away for three or four days. But those are rare.

So, what I'm learning about traveling and training is that I must do what I can and that's all I can do. I'm continuing to feel like I'm improving (which is probably funny to say since I've only been doing it for a week). But, seriously, I think training with my coach is transforming my riding. I can't wait to see what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment