Thursday, December 31, 2015

Not all food is good fuel

So, it's New Year's Eve and I just finished a super short 30 minute spin on my bike via the trainer. It's late now, around 9:15 p.m., and we are all attempting to stay up until midnight. Okay, 9:15 isn't late but when you have small children you begin to drift off around 8 pm. We are doing various things around here but will gather together again in about 15 minutes. That's enough time to jot down today's thoughts.

Knowing that I have intense training ahead of me, I've done what any sensible person would do and gorged on food--tons and tons of food. And sweets. I've enjoyed Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's food traditions this year in new and unique ways. Mostly in the form of eating everything without shame. ;) What I realize is if I'm going to get fitter, I can't concentrate on riding alone. I must pay attention to what I eat. So, bye bye holiday eating and hello cycling eating.

What is fueling for cycling?

That's a good question and I look forward to learning this from my coach. I don't actually know what's the best foods to eat for endurance sports. I see many of my cycling friends popping gels and various other things but I would prefer, if possible, real food. So, until I learn I am sticking with lean proteins, whole oats like oatmeal but skipping bread, fruits and vegetables. This begins tomorrow. It's actually not far from what I typically eat I've just abandoned it during the holidays. I typically feel better when I'm eating well, so this will be a welcomed adjustment.

So, I don't know what is the best fuel but I do know that that not all food is good fuel for cycling or any endurance sport. I imagine this will be a big experiment at first. I'll need to know what I can eat prior to intense rides and what I can not. I typically have oatmeal or egg whites in the morning. I imagine that will do but we shall see. And I imagine I'll need to do figure out what to eat as I ride. The thought of eating while doing physical activity is extremely foreign to me but the journey is all about learning.

Here's to learning and fueling properly in 2016! God has been good and I am praying that He is glorified as I seek to enjoy this new sport.

-Trill

No comments:

Post a Comment