Monday, January 4, 2016

And so it begins (began?)

I've started training!

I thought that I was beginning today, Monday, Jan. 4, but instead my coach sent me a workout for Sunday. I was actually out of town when the workout came in and I immediately tried to figure out how in the world I would fit it in knowing that by the time I got home and settled, the sun would be nearly set. Well, have I mentioned how awesome my husband is? He is incredibly kind and gentle and supportive. I couldn't do much of anything without him. He needed to get a run in so he decided to grab my bike and all my stuff, because cycling isn't like riding a bike*, and met me at the airport with all of my stuff!

I got changed at a Panera Bread and we were off to run and bike and play. I wasn't able to complete the full 1.5 hour workout. I got in one hour of it. I also slowed down and stopped to be with my kids a few times so it wasn't the full paced workout either. But, I got something in and I'm grateful for that.

But today it really begins. I'll meet with him to find out what all of the workouts means and how to do this most effectively and efficiently with my crazy schedule. January seems like it will be a bit of a wash because of travel but I think we are going to get creative. Mostly, I want to have fun and push myself. I simply wouldn't do much of anything without accountability. I believe God has made us for community and even with a sport like cycling which could easily be individualistic, I'm grateful for community and accountability. I have both. I'll elaborate soon, but for now, here's to the good, fun of cycling in 2016.

*Oh, I wanted to clarify my statement about cycling and riding a bike. You know how people say, "it's like riding a bike." Well, cycling isn't like riding a bike. In some ways it is, you get on a bike and ride. But most of the time you don't have tons of gear and special clothing for riding a bike. And you may have had a bike with gears but that too can get a little complicated. All that to say, for my husband to grab my bike meant that he had to grab my bike, shoes, pants, jersey, jacket, socks, water bottle, and pack it all up along with the kids and everything they needed. That's why it wasn't like "riding a bike." He is a champ!

No comments:

Post a Comment